The Certificate Program is a 10-month-long, hands-on training program designed for practitioners, health coaches, and individuals committed to learning the basic fundamentals and skills of cooking and teaching a healthful whole foods/seasonal diet. Only 8–10 students accepted yearly. Gives the opportunity to teach at Healthy Living Kitchen or in the community at large.
This course includes:
- Teaching the “Basics” of a whole foods diet with seasonal eating including cooking with whole grains and beans, fruits and vegetables, sea vegetables, proteins, fats and oils, soups/stews, salads, dressings, desserts, and smoothies/juicing.
- Understanding the general properties of health and incorporating them into a culinary perspective.
- Overall nutrition theory in relation to a whole foods diet and the impact that diet has on health.
- Familiarity with “diets” in our culture as well as common health issues that plague our culture including vegetarian and vegan, Paleo Diet, diabetes and metabolic syndrome, food allergies and intolerances, gluten sensitivity/intolerance, weight management, and inflammation.
- Gain experience teaching others the basics of eating and cooking.
- General knife skills, plating, and kitchen equipment and supplies.
- Understanding “clean eating” terminology and our current food system issues as well as the organic farming model.
- Adapting traditional recipes to healthier ones.
- Outreach and community health experience.
- Personal journaling and goal setting with steps to achieve them.
- Optional work in HLK organic garden throughout the season.
Purpose of Training:
- Immersion into the world of health and whole foods
- Acquire skills needed to help clients with food issues and diet
- To work at HLK teaching classes, doing demonstrations
- To cook for HLK Grab & Go Café and special diet meals
- Cook for yourself and others
- To acquire knowledge to write, blog, and share food knowledge via social media
- Help others in your community
- Advocate for whole foods and our food system
- Create personal goals of health and cooking experience
- Create a healthy recipe repertoire.
- Begin a cooking journey
- Ability to cook the “Basics” of a whole foods diet with seasonal eating.
- Understand the general properties of health as it relates to a whole foods diet and the impact that diet has on health.
- Familiarity with “diets” in our culture as well as common health issues that plague our culture.
- General knife skills, plating, and use of kitchen equipment.
- Experience of teaching others the basics of eating and cooking.
- Understanding “clean eating” terminology and our current food system issues impacting our culture.
- Understand the organic farm experience of growing.
- Experience speaking to others on these issues.
- Personal goals set with steps to achieve.
Contact us to see if you are a fit for this program.